Surgery is intimidating even when you’re confident in your diagnosis and treatment plan. If you’re unsure about either, getting a second opinion on surgery can provide some much-needed clarity and peace of mind. There are certain surgeries that are more likely to benefit from a second opinion, either because they are more complex or because they come with a higher risk of complications.
And instead of waiting for a referral and scheduling an appointment with another doctor, you can now get a second opinion on surgery online from the comfort of your own home. The Clinic by Cleveland Clinic offers online second opinions for a variety of surgeries, including cardiac surgery, cancer surgery, and spinal surgery. Since we do all the work of gathering your medical records, all you have to do is answer a few questions to get started.
When Should You Get a Second Opinion on Surgery?
There are a few key situations when getting a second opinion on surgery is a good idea:
- Your diagnosis is unclear. If you’ve been diagnosed with a condition that could be treated a few different ways, getting a second opinion can help you feel confident that you’re making the best decision for your health.
- Your surgery is complex. If you’re facing a complex surgery with a lot of potential risks and complications, getting a second opinion can help you be sure that you’re comfortable with the plan.
- You’re not sure about the procedure. If you’re not sure whether surgery is the right treatment for you, getting a second opinion can help you understand all of your options and make the best decision for your health.
Types of Surgeries That Might Benefit from a Second Opinion
There are certain types of surgeries that are more likely to benefit from a second opinion, either because they are more complex or because they come with a higher risk of complications. Here are a few examples:
- Cardiac surgery. This could include heart surgery, valve surgery, or surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm.
- Cancer surgery. Treating cancer is a complex process, and surgery is often just one part of the equation.
- Spinal surgery. Surgery to treat conditions of the spine is complex and often comes with a high risk of complications.
- Orthopedic surgery. This could include joint replacement surgery, surgery to treat a fracture, or surgery for a degenerative disease.
From diagnosis to treatment to post-operative care, getting a second opinion can help you understand all of your options and make the best decisions for your health. You’ll be able to work with one of Cleveland Clinic’s 3500 specialists to get confidence in your care path and much needed peace of mind.
If you’re considering surgery, getting an online second opinion from The Clinic by Cleveland Clinic is a great way to get started. We’ll help by gathering your records, answering your questions, and connecting you with an expert who can provide the guidance you need to make the best decisions for your health.
Get Started with an Online Second Opinion
Whether you need a second opinion on a major procedure like cancer surgery or a more common surgery like knee replacement, we can help. Take the first step today.